Patrick J Langdon

Birth: 03-07-1855
Death: 10-22-1920

Bookmark and Share

Patrick J. was born in Morris, Grundy County

The town of Gretna came into being when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad built a new cut- off from Omaha to Ashland. The Lincoln Land Company filed a deed for land on August 9, 1886. The name Gretna must have originated with some Scotch immigrants who name it for Gretna Green in Dumfrieshire, Scotland. The articles of incorporation where drawn up and the acting Trustee~ to hold office until an election could be held, were appointed by the county commissioners. They were Peter N. Deerson, James Wilson, William Lewon, Patrick J. Langdon and John Grabow. The town was incorporated in 1889 and the following businesses had started up: two grain elevators, a general store operated by the Langdon brothers, Patrick J. and John H., in a large building they had erected on the corner of McKenna and Angus, that also housed a millinery and dressmaking shop and two banks. The Bank of Gretna was organized on August 6, 1910 with P.J. Langdon as president. Langdon Avenue in Gretna was named for Patrick J. and John H. Langdon who platted and developed that part of town.

In 1856 William and Margaret Thomas Langdon and their son Patrick J. left Illinois and set out vestvard in a covered vagon. In their 400 miie trek they crossed the Mississippi River, the State of Iova and the Missouri River and on July 6, 1856 they arrived in Sarpy County.